Thursday, January 27, 2011

Quick Thought: How offensive is that?

Just a thought; why can't Activision or EA (or any other the highly incompetent publishers) realize that PC gamers want a fun FPS game? Not a dumbed down, garbage console thing, like Modern Warfare 2, with it's broom-closet sized maps, absence of actual online multiplayer, no modding, no maps, and all the other issues that continue to plague that title.

I had far more fun, and continue to have far more fun, with the last real first person shooter Activision released; Call of Duty and it's expansion, United Offensive. Before I knew it, half my day today was gone, dissolved in an orgy of blood, bashing, and laughter as I got together with people I've played semi-regularly with for over 5 years now off and on. The maps range from the tiny CoD4/MW2 console style crap to massive sprawling city-scapes, war torn and battered.

Yes, the graphics are outdated to the extreme (the title came out in 2003 IIRC). Yes, it's a World War II shooter, which is a genre that has been beaten to death and beyond. It still stands head and shoulders above any PC shooter released in the last 5 years, and the following Call of Duty titles aren't even good enough to lick it's mud-covered boots.

It's why I wish I could win the lottery. I'd love to put a few million into showing Activision how it's done. CoD:UO with modern graphics and no DRM viruses like Securom or Starforce. Full mod support, dedicated servers, maps that are large enough to let slow firing rifles be useful, and all wrapped up in modern graphics packaging. I'd not have a problem giving console-only gamers a shot of a real FPS, if Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony will allow a real FPS onto their closed systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment